This should work for many (or perhaps every) Samsung phones on Android 2.3.x
1. reboot your phone in recovery (do not do anything here)
2. reboot in normal mode
3. adb shell rm /data/log/recovery_log.txt (even if fails it is ok)
4. adb shell “ln -s /data/local.prop /data/log/recovery_log.txt”
5. reboot your phone in recovery (do not do anything here)
6. reboot in normal mode
7. adb shell “echo ro.kernel.qemu=1 > /data/local.prop”
8. reboot again
9. adb shell … heeey you are root.
10. Install your favorite root tools: Superuser.apk, su, etc.
Works with Honeycomb (Android 3) only. If you’ve upgraded to ICS, you have to wait. Sorry!
UPDATED TO WORKAROUND THE ro.kernel.qemu MODE REMOVAL FROM ADBD
UPDATE 2: If rooting fails: do this
- Go to http://download.lenovo.com/slates/think/tablet1/ and download the OLDEST update (currently: tablet1/ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0024_0060_US.zip)
- Put it on SD card and plug the SD card in the tablet
- On the tablet enable USB Debugging: [Settings->Applications->Developmnet->USB Debugging]
- Download the root script package here
- unpacking yareftpt2.zip will create directory: yareftpt
- (Windows only)If the lenovo driver is not installed on your PC, install it : http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS022366
- (Linux Only)Make sure adb is in your PATH
- Connect the tablet to the PC (USB)
- Make sure you know how to boot the tablet in Recovery mode:
– Shutdown, then start it, in the moment “LENOVO” image appears on the screen, press “Volume Up” few times
– You can navigate through the menu with the volume buttons, and select option with the power button
– If everything ok, just reboot in normal mode
- on the PC, go to command line, and navigate to that directory where you’ve unpacked the exploit download.
- On command line execute: run.bat
- Follow on-screen instructions
- execute ./run.sh
- Follow the on screen instructions
If rooting failed, do not retry immediately:
First reinstall your CURRENT update,
enable USB debugging
finally, redo the whole rooting procedure (including: Installation of VERY OLD update)
Ack: thanks to Driver’z on xda for discovering it
Ack: thanks to @djrbliss, without his tpt exploit this one would not be possible.
This program/instructions come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.